Tuesday, July 2, 2024

Dirty German 50K - May 11, 2024

 Weather or Not

Emaad and I wait until Tuesday before the race before signing up for the Dirty German 50K. The forecasts for Saturday are uncertain and changing from day-to-day and neither of us want to run in a steady rain.  The forecasts gradually reduce the probability of precipitation to showers later in the day and we decide to go. Forecasted showers in the days preceding the race suggest there may be mud, but that is of little concern.

Waiting for the start. Neither the buff nor
the shirt made it to the start line.

We drive to Philadelphia Friday, stopping in Media to visit some of Emaad's college friends, and arrive at out hotel, which is about 10 minutes from where the race will start in Pennypack Park. Pasta dinner at an Olive Garden across the street from the hotel is followed by a visit to a grocery store around the corner to get some items for breakfast (and TastyKakes to bring home) round out our evening.

Uber Hans entertains at the start.
He showed up on the course later.

At the Start

A quick ten minute drive gets us to Pennypack Park and a parking spot on the street a three minute walk to the start.  We get our bibs and shirts and claim some space on the lawn by the start-finish line. I dressed on the prediction that the morning would be cool. but as we wait for the 50-mile runners to start it is clear that the day won't be chilly.  I change from a long sleeve shirt to a short sleeve one and remove my buff.

We watch the 50-mile runners off at 0730 and at 0800 we are off.  The flat beginning narrows down, and we mostly walk single or double file.  As the field spreads out I try to keep up with Emaad, but he is a man on a mission and takes off.  I had forgotten that he said he was going to try to run quickly.  I plod on.

Pennypack Creek.

The course is a bit different than when we ran it in 2019, and seems to be significantly less hilly.  I'm mostly running alone, but I chat, as I am wont to due, with any runners that I catch up with or who catch up with me.

Despite the rain earlier in the week, the course is not particularly muddy, with only an occasion spot or a small puddle on some of the sections of trail along the creek.

Even though it has been five years since running the race last, the trails are pretty familiar.

The first aid station (about mile 4.5) is well stocked with the usual ultra food of cookies, salty things and candy, but also with freshly fried bacon and grilled cheese sandwiches. I joke with the volunteers that while the bacon is excellent, it would be even better if there was chocolate to dip it in.

Flowers.

Team Father - Daughter

About mile 14, or a couple of miles from the end of the first loop, I come upon a man and a younger woman running together on the paved section of the trail.  A glance at their bibs reveals that they are in the 50-mile race.  It turns out that they are Rob and Anna, and he is her father.  Originally Anna's mother was going to run with her, but an injury forced her to drop out, and the ever-accommodating race director Stephan allowed Rob to take her place.  This is Anna's first ultra and she is concerned about making the cutoff at the end of the second loop (50-mile runners have to run three loops, including a mini-loop, to the two loops of 50K runners).  Rob is an experienced ultrarunner, with a 100-miler and two 100Ks to his credit and does not seem as concerned.  I express confidence that they will be fine as well.

Back to the start-finish, I head out on the second loop while they stop by their drop bags.  It isn't long before they catch up to me and it is a chance to re-tell my oft-told tales to new ears.

In the meantime I have texted Emaad to ascertain his lead over me.  He replies and seems to be about 15 to 20 minutes ahead.

I mention my fear of necrotizing fasciitis - along with that of ticks and poison ivy - and hit the jackpot! Rob is a military doctor, and has treated cases of the flesh-eating bacterial infection.  He provides advice on ways to reduce the risk of getting it.

The trail along Pennypack Creek.
We come to the turnoff for them to do the mini-loop and I go on.

After several more miles Anna catches up with me without Rob.  She has decided that she needs to assure making the second loop cutoff and has pushed on.  She passes me and is soon gone.

Levitating to the finish.
I go on too.  Emaad texts that he finished in 6:57.  I reply that I have another two or three miles to go.

Soon the finish is in sight and I see Emaad ready to take pictures. Feeling frisky, I hop into the air, then run to the finish, crossing the line in 7:38.  I collect my Wetterhaus for being first in my age group (and last, and only) and seek out Stephan for a picture with the race director.  I get a bratwurst and potato salad to ear and head back to our chair.

Next to us, Rob is seated.  I ask him if he intends to continue.  He confirms that, as he prepares to head out on his third loop.  He has only a few minutes to spare, but experiences runner that he is, knows he does not need to rush.  We cheer him on as he heads out.

Results

I finish in 7:38:18, good for 153/181 overall, 104/118 males and 1/1 in my age group.  I'm the oldest finisher. I'm also four and a half minutes faster than five year ago, but the may largely be due to the course being easier, the weather better, and not lingering at the aid stations.  

Age group Wetterhaus award with
RD Stephan Weiss.

Emaad finishes 45 minutes faster than five years ago.

And Anna and Rob? Rob catches up with her somewhere on the third loop and they finish the 50-miler together in 12:28.

Swag: zipper shirt, Wetterhaus, medal, hat and bib.











 

No comments:

Post a Comment